The Centre for Innovative Bioscience Education, BioCEN (formerly: Science Festival School), established in 2002, is the unique activity in Poland, which tries to reduce the gap between science and society by conducting educational activities popularizing the theme of modern biology – open lectures, experimental public-oriented laboratory workshops, courses for biology teachers. We are using innovative educational methods with “hands on” experience in the topics of interest. We have the professional equipped biological laboratory in Warsaw, but we are also working in the field, bringing our workshops to places away from academic centers: especially small towns schools and communities. During courses organized for biology teachers we try to build a connection between them and scientists so they can feel they are a part of the scientific community. Since we strongly encourage teachers to implement practical protocols at schools, we not only train them but also equip them with classroom scenarios and affordable experimental kits, equipment and reagents that can be used in a school.
How are we working?
We are conducting educational activities popularizing the theme of modern biology – open lectures, experimental public-oriented laboratory workshops, courses for biology teachers. BioCEN is supported by scientific institutes and universities in Warsaw.
What do we offer:
- experimental laboratory workshops for students in three categories relevant to the age of participants
- workshops implement experimental laboratory activities in schools outside Warsaw
- experimental kits and other scientific tools
- professional training for school teachers
- links to interesting information from biology
- and many more inspirations…